Selling Tips

Preparing for viewings of your Barbican flat
These are a few suggestions:

  • De-clutter
  • Keep blinds and curtains on all windows fully open
  • Rectify any problems including any water damage, peeling paint etc.
  • If there is any mildew on sealant in the bathroom, replace the sealant
  • Keep vents clear.
  • Make sure the route to the sliding doors is kept clear.

Get your house in order

Don’t let problems delay – or even derail – your sale. Get rid of the problems in advance. This is mainly about paperwork. But sales are mainly about paperwork. Have you located your title deeds?
Consent for alterations

It is essential to ensure you have all consents in place when preparing to sell your property.

These are the types of consent which may be needed: 
  • Barbican Estate Office’s consent for alterations. This is a formal consent in writing from the Barbican Estate Office. approving works in advance. Nearly any change to a flat, other than redecorating or repairing, requires the Barbican Estate Office’s consent.
  • Garchey removal. If you have had your Garchey unit sealed up, you need a letter from the Barbican Estate Office confirming the removal of the Garchey was done to their satisfaction, because it can affect the whole Garchey system in the building if done wrongly.
  • Building Regulation completion certificate. If any of the alterations involved making connections to the building’s ventilation, water or drainage systems, then Building Regulation approval was needed. Two examples. Changing a sink and making a new connection inside the flat, doesn’t require it. But if you put in a new shower and the plumber had to connect to the drain in the central core of the block, that does require it.
  • Certificate for electrical work. If you have had any electrical work done since 1st January 2005, a certificate by an authorised electrician is required. (This is a form of building regulation consent.)
  • Listed building consent. The Barbican Estate became a listed building on 5th September 2001. Listed building consent should have been obtained for certain types of alterations carried out after listing came into effect. It’s a bit complicated. Changing the tiles in the bathroom doesn’t need listed building consent; but changing the skirting board does. The Listed Building Guide for Barbican Residents is on the City’s website.

If you haven’t got any of these consents, there are solutions. You can apply to the Barbican Estate Office for retrospective approval of alterations, and you can apply to the City for retrospective listed building consent or building regulation consent. But this will all hold up your sale. Much better to be prepared and have all the necessary paperwork ready to show to the buyers; solicitors.